15 mins prep
40 mins cooking
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Celery Stick, chopped
1 Onion, sliced
400g/14oz Sweet Potatoes
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
100g/4oz Chorizo Sausage, peeled and sliced
1 tsp Medium Curry Powder
900ml Chicken Stock
Salt & Pepper
1. Bring a large pan to medium/high heat and pour in the olive oil and all the chopped and sliced ingredients. Add the curry powder and mix with a wooden spoon.
2. Cook for 10 mins or until the carrot has softened but isn’t falling apart and the onions are translucent.
3. Add the hot chicken stock to the pan and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 20 mins or until the sweet potato is cooked through.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and allow to cool slightly.
6. Using a food processor or hand blender, blend the soup in batches.
7. Re-heat if necessary then divide in to 4 bowls and serve.
– Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin C. The orange variety of sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene which the body converts to vitamin A – an antioxidant that helps to fight cancer. In addition, sweet potato is rich in vitamin E, which is vital for healthy skin.
– Garlic helps boost heart health by actively lowering cholesterol levels, and allicin, a volatile oil found in the bulb, may help suppress the formation of tumors. It is also a powerful antioxidant, thanks to its amino acids, helping it to enhance overall immune function.
– Onion has an exceptionally high level of the flavonoid quercetin, a strong antioxidant which can block the formation of cancer cells.
– Carrots are one of the richest sources of beta-carotene, which is converted by the body into the antioxidant vitamin A. This helps to strengthen cells against viruses, to fight cancer. We use the vitamin K present in carrots for blood clotting and the healing of wounds.
(Source book: The Top 100 Immunity Boosters by Charlotte Haigh).