Here’s something we can all do whether we are physically active or not… deep breathing. Yep, by breathing deeply we can get our lymph moving!
Our lymph needs muscular movement in order for it to be pumped around our bodies and the easiest way to do that is to breathe deeply. Deep breathing causes the expansion and contraction of our diaphragms, which in turn stimulates our lymphatic system. Therefore by simply breathing deeply we can encourage our lymph to flow. Easy.
Source: Energise for Life
Use the following simple exercises:
- Sit upright in a comfortable chair or lie on your bed with your knees slightly bent. Rest your hands on your ribs.
- Take deep breaths to relax.
- As you breathe in, direct the air down to your tummy (abdomen), which you will feel rising under your hands.
- Breathe out slowly by ‘sighing’ the air out. While breathing out, let your abdomen relax in again.
- Do the deep breathing exercises five times.
- Have a short rest before getting up to avoid feeling dizzy.