So, we’ve covered some of the stuff we really don’t want to hear, but let’s be fair it’s really difficult for people to know what to say for the best. I know that if the shoe had been on the other foot I wouldn’t of had a clue what to say to a cancer patient. So I thought I would share with you some of the most wonderful things people have said to me that really made a difference during my darkest hours.
In no particular order…
- Whatever you need, day or night just call me
- I don’t know what I can do but if there is anything just let me know
- I would do anything so you didn’t have to go through this
- You are always in my prayers
- Let me come over and do the housework for you
- Where do you want to go and what do you want to do? Whatever it is we’ll do it
- I don’t want you to worry about work, we’ve got it covered
- Your health is the most important thing, let us worry about everything else
- I’m going to bring over some frozen meals
- We want to do a charity run in your honor. Is that ok?
Of course one of the most important things anyone can do is to be there to listen when we need to talk. To not judge us on the difficult decisions we need to make at probably the most stressful time of our life but to just be there to support us no matter what. If you don’t know what to say, say that! We will understand. Sometimes we just want to talk about anything other than cancer so please do treat us as you always have done and share what’s going on in your life with us too.