10 mins prep
35 mins cooking
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Green Peppers, chopped
2 tbsp Chipotle Paste
2 x 400g Canned Chopped Tomatoes
400g Can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
250-300g Raw King Prawns
2 Limes, zest and juice of 1, 1 cut into wedges
1 Avocado, roughly chopped
Serve with rice
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and peppers for 5 mins until soft.
2. Stir in the chipotle past and cook for 1 min.
3. Add the tomatoes and black beans. Simmer for 20-25 mins until the sauce starts to thicken.
4. Add the king prawns and cook for 3-4 mins, until they have turned pink and are cooked through.
5. Sir in the lime zest.
6. Serve with rice and lime wedges topped with the avocado and lime juice.
– Onion has an exceptionally high level of the flavonoid quercetin, a strong antioxidant which can block the formation of cancer cells.
– Peppers have high levels of beta-arotene, which the body turns into anti-viral, immunity-boosting vitamin A.
– Tomatoes are full of vitamin C. They are also packed with lycopene, a type of caroenoid, that helps to prevent cancer. Tomatoes contain high levels of beta-carotene – necessary for the production of vitamin A. This helps to maintain a healthy thymus gland, which plays a vital role in immune response. In addition, tomatoes are a good source of vitamin E, which helps to protect the body from toxins.
– Prawns contain high levels of immune-essential minerals, including zinc, which we need to produce the enzymes that keep cancer at bay, and to help develop other disease-fighting cells.
– Limes are also high in vitamin C and are an effective immune stimulant.
– Avocados are rich in vitamin E and vitamin B
(Source: The Top 100 Immunity Boosters by Charlotte Haigh)