This week I found not only my PJs but also my pillow had become home to mosquitoes. Not the nicest thing to find when your head hits the pillow it has to be said.
Being someone mosquitoes love to snack on and knowing that bites and stings are a lymphoedema risk, it seems it is that time of year again when I need to find ways to keep the little buggers away from me.
Here a few things I know work and a few new ones that are worth a try:
- On my affected arm swap the E45 and Argan oil combo to Avon – Skin so Soft, which contains citronella.
- Get out the citronella tealights and start using those instead of my regular scented candles.
- Get some more lavender, rosemary, lemon grass and marigolds planted up in the garden.
- When opening windows in my bedroom remember to use the fly screens too.
- Cook with garlic more.
- Get out my mosquito swatter just in case.
- Make sure there’s no standing water inside or out.
- Cook with soy bean oil.
- Cut down or cut out perfumed products, especially when going outside.
- Wear long sleeved, light coloured tops with a tight weave.
- Avoid excessive exercise particularly at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are out. Sweat, carbon dioxide and warmer body temperatures are also very attractive to them.
(Source: Amelia Island Mosquito Control)